Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ideas From Class

So, here I am at roughly 9:45pm on a Tuesday, writing about some of the ideas from class last Wednesday night. The only things that I can remember from the class were making the blog and learning how to put together a website using Dreamweaver. While I was getting the thoughts in my head straightened to write this post, I thought about these two things and the potential that they have in the classroom. Using blogs can be a great way to supplement the learning experience from the classroom; hell, they may even be able to get through to kids better than the lectures. With the blog, a student can have time to think about what he or she wants to say, allowing more thought on the topic, it can also give the "quiet" students a voice and help them to express their thoughts on the subject. Websites can be a perfect way to help guide a student by giving them links to helpful websites or even helping the student understand where you (the teacher) is coming from by putting personal information on the site. These ideas are just skimming the surface; these technologies provide limitless capabilities for what a teacher can do with them. I am very eager to learn how to utilize these and more technologies in the classroom.

3 comments:

James Pray said...

I'm also very interested in seeing how we'll apply these things in the classroom. Good site, by the way!

Allen Webb said...

I agree with you about the point of getting quieter students to have a "voice" in the classroom. And with blogs, not only do they get a "voice" -- they also get a visual presence on the internet that all of their friends or family can look at.

This is making me wonder how we talk to students about how to present their "public" face...

Kim Ballard said...

For me blogs are way cool. I also think, at this moment in time, that teachers need to offer some goals or opportunities that give students . . . what??? direction? purpose? something to do with blogs in classes. Students not only connect with texts though blogs, they also connect with the people who are driving the blogs.