Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Teaching with Archives

After searching Allen's Teaching with Archives site, I realized that archives can be very powerful tools to help the students with their research and whatnot. The only problem that I see with it is will the students utilize these archives? I remember another professor of mine putting together a gigantic website with archives to all sorts of different topics pertaining to the subject, but I never used them. In fact, out of everyone I talked to in the class, no one used them. I think that if archives are to be collected for the class, they should be implemented within the course, possibly in the form of an assignment. This would make sure that the students use the archives that you collected for them.

The archives that I thought were interesting were the mythology archives. I have always loved mythology because of the connections between different cultures that are found within each of them. The archive that I enjoyed the most was the Mythography one. It has a very nice layout and it is pretty easy to get around on the site. Also, I thought the quiz was a good addition, although a little too easy at parts. (In one question, they asked which was not a Roman god, and the list included Russel Crowe....come on.) All-in-all, it's a good site, and I think that I could utilize it for the future.

1 comment:

Ilse said...

Hmmm... in my class this past Monday, I also gave my students a list of websites (some archives), demonstrated how to get to them in class, and told the students just to have fun. I wonder how many will actually EVER look at that handout again. BTW, I haven't looked at Allen's archive site yet, but if you're into mythology, one of my students introduced me to a site called godchecker.com, which has hilarious descriptions of gods and heroes... if you haven't yet seen it, check it out!